Cork Qualifier - Thursday 2nd of July 2020.

Posted on 29th June 2020

Final Cork Qualifier before racing resumes on Sunday the 12th of July will be held at Ballebuidhe Race field, Dunmanway on Thursday Evening the 2nd of July at 7pm.

Qualifier is open to juveniles, maidens and horses that need to qualify.

Please contact any member of the Panel to enter for the Qualifier.

Cork Qualifier Results - 25th of June 2020.

Posted on 26th June 2020

All qualifiers were 3 Laps.

Qualifier: 1
1Darkhill John J.M. O’Reilly2.40
2BequestD. Murphy2.51
3Hint of MistD. Mc Carthy2.53 (DNQ)
4Hianca HAK. Sheehy3.05
Qualifier: 2
1Meadowbranch RomanceC. O’ Driscoll2:36:59
2DiplomatistM. O’Reilly2:38:30
3Resolute DiamondT. O’ Leary2:40:07
Qualifier: 3
1IB FelicityJ. Boyle2:28:57
2Mahogany DreamerJ. Moloney2:30:35
3Hail CeaserP. Hill2:33:32

Cork Qualifiers - Thursday 25th of June 2020.

Posted on 23rd June 2020

Cork Qualifier will be held at Ballebuidhe Race field, Dunmanway on Thursday Evening the 25th of June at 7pm.

Harness Racing Season 2020.

Posted on 22nd June 2020

Harness racing season recommences in Portmarnock on Monday the 29th of June with the first Cork meeting on Sunday the 12th of July in Dunmanway.

Please ensure trainers declarations, Licence renewals, Flu vacs and Ownership transfers are in order or entries will not be accepted.

IHRA Regional Qualifiers, Schooling & Driving Test Sessions.

Posted on 16th June 2020

The qualifying and schooling session is been held on Wednesday the 17th of June at 7pm in Ballabhuidhe Race Field.

Online entries close on Tuesday the 16th of June at 10pm.

Only horses entered via the online entry form will be permitted on the track. Only horses that have been cleared to race will be permitted to Qualify.

Please note the change in the Website currently been used for the Online Entries:

Click on the Link to access the Online Entries Form.

Please note the following requirements:

  • Only horses entered online are permitted.
  • Drivers and Trainers and one Groom per horse allowed.
  • No under 12s.
  • Health screening at the office before entry to paddock.
  • 5 metres between Horse Boxes.
  • 2 metres Social Distancing.
  • Face coverings to be worn by drivers.

IHRA Regional Qualifiers, Schooling & Driving Test Sessions.

Posted on 12th June 2020

As the commencement of the 2020 season draws ever closer, the IHRA will conduct weekly qualifying and schooling sessions in all three regions over the next two weeks for all juvenile and maiden pacers and trotters.

These will be held in Annaghmore on Saturdays at 10am, Portmarnock on Sundays at 11am & in Ballabhuidhe on Wednesdays at 7pm.

Only horses entered via the online entry form will be permitted on the tracks during this time and all previous exercising bookings will be transferred. Only horses that have been cleared to race will be permitted to Qualify.

Please note the change in the Website currently been used for the Online Entries:

Click on the Link to access the Online Entries Form.

Juvenile Stakes Programme 2020.

Posted on 29th May 2020

The IHRA are proudly happy to announce the inaugural Juvenile Stakes programme for both two and three year old pacers which will take place annually beginning this year.

Considering the cancellation of the Vincent Delaney Memorial earlier this week, the IHRA have decided to support the owners and trainers of juvenile pacers, who have been preparing their young stock for many months now and to have a grand circuit for these pacers going forward.

The Juvenile Stakes will be made up of four divisions; 2YO fillies, 2YO colts and geldings, 3YO fillies & 3YO colts and geldings and will have a combined purse of €52,000, with €14,000 for each division.

Juvenile Stakes Programme 2020.

The structure of the programme, taken from similar International Stakes races, will see four individual elimination races being staged from July through to September and the participating horses competing to gain points in order to reach the finals day held in Portmarnock Raceway in late September. The points awarded at each of the elimination race will be 16 points for first, 8 points for second, 4 points for third, 2 points for fourth and 1 point for fifth.

A table of the purses on offer at each elimination race and finals for each division is as follows:

Juvenile Stakes Programme 2020.

The barrier draws for the finals will be decided by the total points accrued, from the heats, whereby the highest to the lowest will choose their position.

Nominations for the juvenile stakes close on Wednesday June 3rd 2020 with a nomination fee of €350 and the second and final sustaining fee €350 is due on Wednesday July 1st 2020.

Entries are now open to all and the IHRA will refund in full, any BHRC horse should our current restrictions not be lifted.

The IHRA intends to announce the dates for these events in the coming week, following a meeting of the racecourse committee to discuss the revised fixture list for the 2020 season.

Red John Memorial Committee Fixture Update.

Posted on 29th May 2020

The IHRA are pleased to announce that the 2020 Red John Memorial Race fixture will go ahead on August 15th & 16th at Lyre, Co Cork.

The IHRA & RJM memorial committee are happy that this move two weeks earlier than planned will now allow any trainer to compete in the 2020 breeder’s crown fixture at Tir Prince and it will also allow for UK horses to compete at the IHRA’s largest and richest grass meeting in the country.

Along with the annual Red John Memorial and Maven Trot, the meeting will play host to a heat of the new Juvenile Stakes Programme for 2 & 3 Year Olds.

This year, the RJM will follow the new IHRA handicap format with two eliminations for the top 16 horses in both codes and all other graded races will be straight races.

The RJM committee has also revised their stakes payment schedule for this years event, full details of which will be published next week.

RJM 2020

ITHRF Message Of Sympathy.

Posted on 27th April 2020

The ITHRF wish to extend their deepest sympathy to Donal and Tadgh Murphy and their families on the passing of their Uncle Pádraig Burke.

May he Rest In Peace.

Trotteur Francais Breeding Initiatives 2020.

Posted on 25h April 2020

The IHRA Breeding Committee has completed a five-year strategic breeding programme for Irish Trotteur Francais mares and their future progeny. The following initiatives will come into effect immediately and the IHRA are greatly appreciative of the financial contributions made by Le Trot in this respective. The schemes below will be reviewed in early 2024.

Please find full details of all such initatives on the link below.


Covid-19 Members Update.

Posted on 25th April 2020

The following update was emailed to members recently.

As we write to you today, the 2020 season should be heading into its eight week of its commencement of the 2020 season, but unfortunately like all other recreational and sporting the events in the country, the Irish Harness racing calendar has fallen foul to the Covid-19 restrictions, currently in place by the HSE. Given the current situation, the IHRA are doing whatever can be done to look after our employees and our stakeholders. We also realize the predicament for our owners and trainers that race at our tracks and the anxiety of not knowing what the near future might hold. It is in this spirit that we try to shed a little light on what may be possible.

The IHRA board of directors, along with its committee members have been tirelessly convening over the past number of weeks to discuss the situation and as many of you are aware, the season opening has been postponed until Sunday 10th of May, should the current restrictions be lifted in any way for the sporting events in the country. The IHRA intends to race behind closed doors for the first four weeks of racing in Portmarnock as intensive safety and security measures will have to be put in place. This will allow the IHRA to primarily begin our season and will secondly be the associations effort to cease the spread of this extreme and in some cases fatal virus. The committees are working on a contingency plan in the event of running behind closed doors and all stakeholders will receive a copy of this document once finalised. The IHRA are currently planning and designing a new streaming service of all our races so that all regular attendees at our race meetings can watch all the action from the comfort and safety of their own home. The sub-committee working on this project are hopeful that project will come to fruition and details of this service will be published should it be financially viable for the association to do so.

Our fixtures have suffered already with the first eleven meetings at Portmarnock, Annaghmore & Cork abandoned. The annual Inchydoney beach races has been cancelled, whilst the Red John Memorial in Lyre on June 13th & 14th is now rescheduled for August 29th & 30th. Should the restrictions be extended after 5th of May, the IHRA racecourse committee will review all other future dates and make amendments where necessary.

Finally, the IHRA have submitted a document to the Department of Agriculture, Food & the Marine, on their request regarding Emergency funding as a direct result to the ongoing restrictions and their impact on the Irish Harness Racing sector. To conclude this update, the IHRA board of directors, its committee’s and employees would like to reiterate in no uncertain terms that we are working to getting tracks open but only when its safe to do so. Owners and trainers need to race, and we would like to race too, but for now we must adhere to the guidelines set forth by the HSE.

To keep updated, please refer to or our dedicated social media platforms of Facebook, Instagram or Twitter accounts for all related news on this matter.

Red John Memorial Committee Fixture Update.

Posted on 19th April 2020

Due to the Covid 19 crisis, the RJM Committee have no option only to postpone the event scheduled for the 13th and 14th of June 2020. Following negotiations with the land owner, sponsors, IHRA subcommittees, we applied and were granted the dates 29th and 30th of August 2020.

We appreciate that this may clash with high profile meeting in the UK, but unfortunately this can not be avoided due to the unusual circumstances we find ourselves in.

We thank you for your understanding and support and look forward to welcoming you all to Lyre in August. In the meantime – Stay Safe.

RJM 2020

ITHRF Message Of Sympathy.

Posted on 2nd April 2020

The ITHRF wish to extend their deepest sympathy to Martin and Christy Hurley and their extended Family on the passing of their brother Mike.

May he Rest In Peace.

Red John Memorial Committee Update.

Posted on 27th March 2020

Following recent developments with the COVID-19 virus, the Red John Memorial Committee like all others are monitoring the situation.

If we cannot run in June we will seek an alternative date.

Further updates as the situation transpires.

Stay Safe Everyone.

RJM Committee.

Covid 19 Update.

Posted on 27th March 2020

The IHRA sub committees met over the weekend and have decided to postpone the opening date of the 2020 season to Sunday 3rd May. This decision was made to protect the safety and well being of all our members and stakeholders. The committee’s will continue to meet on a weekly basis to discuss matters arising from harness racing and will continue to review the opening date.

We are confident that we will resume racing on Sunday 3rd May, provided no further restrictions will be put in place by the HSE.

Entries will open online on Sunday 19th April and to ensure a smooth flow within the office, we would like to remind all trainers and owners to please send in a copy of your flu vaccinations to us in the coming days, along with completing the online licence renewal form which is available in our online forms section of the website, which is located on the left hand side of the home page.

Further to protect our staff, the IHRA office will close today, 24th March until further notice. However Donna will be contactable via email and telephone (10am -11.30am) each day. Any applications relating studbook matters or general post will not be dealt with until our staff are safe to return to the office and the HSE restrictions are lifted.

For any further updates, please check both our website and social media platforms.

IHRA Update.

Posted on 16th March 2020

Following an IHRA Racecourse Committee conference call and it light of the HSE Covid-19 guidelines currently in place it has been decided to defer the opening meeting scheduled for Sunday 29th March at Portmarnock by one week to Sunday 5th April.

This opening date will be subject to an ongoing review based on the evolving situation taking into account any new guidelines as determined by the HSE and it may be necessary to impose operating restrictions based on whatever guidelines apply at the time of opening.

Based on the current assumption of the opening meeting taking place on Sunday 5th April entries will open on Monday 23rd March and close on Thursday 26th March, only horses that are compliant with the 28 day trainer declaration and for which a current flu vac scheduled has been submitted to the IHRA Office are eligible for entry, equally the associated owners, trainers & drivers will have to be fully licensed for the 2020 season to be eligible to compete.

The newly purchased Trotteur Francais racehorses following the recent Le Trot sale will be eligible subject to an online trainer declaration being completed by Friday 20th March.

Older Posts »